Saturday, January 25, 2014

Working Dogs Yankee Style

I worked dogs today, Yankee style! I can't take pictures once we get going, too busy trying to keep everything under control. I could take this shot because the dogs' gangline is tied off to the trailer hitch on the van. That cute little smooth coat Pi got moved into lead second half of the run. Looks like she will be a good leader. I'd tried her earlier this season and she kept looking back over her shoulder. All business today though. 

When I started this sledding I was worried about the dogs being able to pull me. Now I love heavy snow, slows things down. Tasks like keeping my weight on the inside runner on turns, using the drag mat brake or bar brake, shifting to the other runner.... none of these basic moves are automatic. I have to think in my conscious mind, and then it is too late. Yep, flipped the sled again today. Perhaps I should have taken this up younger, before terms like "bone density" started being thrown around at doctor appointments. Oh hell, you only live once; and adrenaline is my recreational drug of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment