Sunday, November 22, 2015

Why I write


I see the world and frame it in words.  I’ve no skill as a photographer.  My photographic attempts are flat and lifeless reprints of what I was trying to capture.  Although drawing and painting appeal to me my hands are unable to shape what is in my head.  So I write.  Superb photographs capture the visual elements and invite the imagination to fill in the sounds, scents and feelings.  Drawings and paintings pull harder at the imagination to flesh out the moment.  Words demand that the reader actively engage themselves:  their desires; their history; their imaginations; their souls.  Words are the mind’s coloring books.  Each of us takes the outlines and fills the moment with color, light, history, destiny, and feeling.  We read through the lens of our lives, making our own personal edition, our own snowflake.

No comments:

Post a Comment