Sunday, July 25, 2021

Loss


I walked to my car along this familiar road, the last time I'll hear my feet on the packed dirt, brook dancing along the base of the field, welcome the shade of these trees. Today I stood for the last time where I've stood at the post so many times, watching my dog cross the brook at the Spring Valley trial, up the hill to bring the sheep across the bridge. With the cars parked along the road, familiar faces among the crowd, you expected to see Steve Wetmore walking along, hat on his head, dog at his side, asking how your run went.  Instead he came in the hearts and memories of the many there to celebrate his life.

I loved the setting for this trial, the relaxed atmosphere, the pot luck in Steve's front yard, walking my dogs up the dirt road, and testing my timing on the difficult course. It was the quintessential New England trial, and it was Steve. 

Remember the time he hired the magician Marko for after the dinner? Oh lord I laughed that night. Marko was there today. He handed me a deck of cards, told me to shuffle, pick one, and write something on the face. I wrote "Thank you," that dreaded trial expression that appreciates a job well done even when your run is over.  Of course Marko found it in the deck, multiple times, and we laughed.

Steve was a good handler, a good dog trainer. His dogs knew the job and trusted him. His runs were worth watching, stock and dogs treated with skill and respect. Steve was a friend to me and many in our community. 

Loss sucks. Thank you Steve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment