Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Christmas Tree Menorah

My first job out of college was writing movie descriptions for cable TV guides. The pay was lousy, hours unreliable, and the office was so cold we fought for the chance to use the photo copier as it generated a lot of warmth. It was grand fun. All kids right out of college. We sat around tables and wrote the descriptions, sized to fit various slots in the guides. We laughed together at the hopeless schlock we created. Anything older than 20 years is a "timeless masterpiece" regardless of actual quality, trust me on this. The most fun was writing descriptions for "Escapade", later renamed the Playboy channel. We would be in stitches writing provocative bits that could still be printed in a guide that would land on family coffee tables. 
 
The staff were about 50/50 Jewish and Christian. When we planned our holiday party I sketched a Christmas tree menorah. My sketch was hideous as I've no talent with my hands, but we had a department full of artists and one of them created this festive image for our invitation. I remembered this today, and dug through some old files to find it. Yellowing a bit, but still fun.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment