Monday, December 21, 2015

Home for the Holidays


I stopped at Home Depot this evening to pick up some metal rods to finish my corner assemblies on some fence.  I remembered that the long drill bit I use to drill for the rods is bent, so I grabbed another drill bit while I was there.  I selected a bit of a matching size for the rods, then considered if I should get one size larger diameter as well.  Sometimes the wood is wet and it is easier to tap the rods through a larger hole.  But really, the next size up was $10.47 and I was making an excuse to buy it.  I put it back on the hook, gave one last longing look, and headed to the checkout.  But, how could I walk away?  I really think that drill bit and I made a connection.  I felt his little heart beat faster with anticipation as I lifted him from the hook.  Could I be so callous as to inspire a fluttering hope for a home for the holidays, only to discard him back to the hook like a piece of metal?  It’s Christmas.  I went back and found him, lifted him gently from the hook and carried him to the checkout.  He’s now nestled with his little brother in the shop.  I think I’ll name him Twist.  Welcome home little buddy.  Welcome home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment