Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Anticipation

There is a risky joy in anticipation. We await great events in our lives, savoring the possibilities, seasoned with optimism and imagination. Reality is hard pressed to compare.

Today began with the chance at the semi finals and then the finals. Dreams of seamless runs. I sent Song and her outrun was closer than usual, lacking the expected flare out near the top. My sheep had decided to quit the setout area at all costs and Song was trying to get there to catch them. Two sheep were bolting for the side of the field. She caught those, brought them to the ones bolting straight down, and somehow made the fetch panels. I was of no help as she decided to forego my advice until she had the situation under control. I attempted to regain radio contact after the fetch panels when I heard a voice right behind me "Don't panic. You are getting a rerun." I waited a run to allow Song to catch her breath and allow my dreams to come out from hiding.

Second time her outrun was flawless, leaving my side to angle out and up, adjusting out further as she watched her sheep at the top. Her lift was clean and accurate. The top of the fetch I felt like I was hanging on by my fingertips. She still had the bit in her teeth. We got things settled for a solid drive, good split, very good pen, then could not get the single. We had almost two minutes but I could not sort a collared ewe into position on either end.

Now I adjust to reality as my new starting point, planning to improve my skills, improve my execution of the job. In no time I will add the spice of optimism to the main dish of practice and preparation and hard work. I will again savor the risky joy of anticipation.

Song was the first pup born in the first litter I bred. Born, raised and trained in my house. I am proud of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment