Friday, January 9, 2015

First sled run of 2015

I took the dog sled out today.  Not ideal conditions, thin icy base with a couple inches of new snow on top, fast, bumpy, and not great cover.  I did not have time to drive to a groomed trail so I settled for a winding local trail with some hazards and rough spots.  I’m growing quite fond of the helmet I bought this summer.  I’ve learned to put it on as soon as I arrive at the trail head, otherwise I risk forgetting it.  Then I remember the helmet wistfully as the dogs are racing tight around a turn with a tree on the inside. 

The thaw last week made mud on the trails and 4 wheelers made ruts.   That was pretty miserable when one side of the sled was in the rut.  I managed to stay upright, which I think may be proof of miracles, or simply the power of desperation when you realize just how hard and lumpy the surface you are hurtling towards will be.  More snow cover will fill the ruts.

I finally made a 2015 New Year resolution while standing on the runners this afternoon.  I’m quite uncomfortable standing on the right runner and using my left foot on the drag mat.  I always want my left leg planted on a runner.  Sometimes I really need the right runner weighted while I’m braking, so I resolved to force myself to use that right leg, even on scary stretches when I want to go back to my trusted left leg support.  The sensation gives me new appreciation and forgiveness for dogs that choose their more comfortable side in a flank in a tough situation.

I’m getting a bit better at corners.  As a tight corner comes my base survival instinct coaches me to stand on the brake, but as I get to the corner I need to get off the brake and let the sled slide freely.  This way it travels deeper into the corner and if I ride the runners well it snaps around neatly on the new path.  By going deeper into the corner I miss the damn tree that always seems to be standing there on the inside of the corner saying “Make my day!”

I’m down to 5 dogs.  I’m running Marcus in single lead.  He’s doing well, though he tends to turn back to me when we stop.  He takes his job very seriously.  Young Ike, only 7 months old, is showing signs of being a lead dog when we go for walks.  He’s always out front and always wanting to go further while watching me to see what my choices are.  Next year I think Marcus will be able to share the lead with Ike.  

Mushing is marvelous and highly recommended for those of you with a few working dogs.  The snowy woods are lovely, the swish and creak of the sled flexing under your feet.  As you get the hang of the sled the corners are not unlike downhill skiing, an exhilarating excursion of centrifugal force.  Or you can just go slower.  Either way you ride the trails on the energy of your dogs like a magic carpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment