Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Bouncing Baby Dishwasher

Having the dishwasher die on Christmas Eve was not one of the highlights of the holiday.  I’m singing Silent Night at church while the dishwasher was apparently taking the words literally.  This is not the first time this machine has failed.  It is at least 15 years old.  About 5 years ago it stopped functioning correctly.  I started reading reviews to pick out a new dishwasher then.  My overwhelming impression was that there was no dishwasher that a significant number of people did not hate.  So I ordered some parts online and repaired the existing dishwasher.  For about $40 in parts, 5 hours of work and a heaping helping of expletives I got a dishwasher that worked very well and a sense of accomplishment.  Somehow the battered old dishwasher did not seem worth the investment this time round.

Since the reviews dissuaded me before, I simply picked one of the “recommended” dishwashers from Consumer Reports and declined to read the reviews.  Apparently no one likes dishwashers anyway.  I tried to order the machine on Christmas day, but the web site would not save my billing address.  The next day I managed to place the order.  Several days later I got the notice that my dishwasher was waiting for me at Sears at the Pheasant Lane Mall.  I hitched up the trailer and drove to the mall.  After an unsatisfying experience trying to communicate with an electronic kiosk, a human being finally appeared to tell me that my dishwasher was actually at a warehouse on the other side of the river.  The kiosk had already tapped into Ms. Hyde so this news did not elicit a cheerful response.  I did not mind picking it up at the warehouse, which was no further from home than the mall.  I did mind going to the mall with the van and trailer to be told I needed to wind back down some small roads to where I could cross the bridge to the warehouse.  I tried to be nice to the polite and efficient warehouse people.  To do this I had to forget that I was not going to have time for other errands now.  The dishwasher stayed in the trailer parked in the sheep paddock, both victim and perpetrator of my mangled schedule. 

I went back for the trailer two days later, removed the old dishwasher, and prepared to install the new one.  My mind was thinking washing machine… put it in place, screw on the hoses, pop the drain hose in the pipe, plug it in and start doing laundry.  Hah!  The water supply for my dishwasher comes in a 3/8 inch flexible copper pipe.  Flexible such that it is difficult to bend, particularly if you don’t want to put in a permanent kink.  This pipe comes up from directly over the water heater in the basement, with maybe 10 inches of room between the top of the water heater and the rafters, and the dishwasher feed behind a labyrinth of other pipes.  Another wrinkle, the valve that shuts off water to the dishwasher feed would not close completely, leaving a persistent drip from the line as I worked.  This all convinced me that there would be no changes to the piping below. Fortunately I found a nifty little connector at Home Depot.  The push on connector, a little pipe cutter, and some very careful work pushing the pipe into shape to get to the feed on the new machine, and we were connected. 

Which brings me to the installation directions... they instruct you to connect the water and electrical with the dishwasher out from under the cabinet, and rolled on its back.  Of course neither the copper pipe for the water nor the line for the electrical will reach the connections until the damn machine is under the counter.  At this point you are working on the connections lying on the ground, squeezing your arms together to fit into the restricted space under the machine where all the various connections are cleverly interlaced with hard edged sheet metal, various sharp objects, and other wiring and hoses.  The simple act of squeezing a set of pliers to hold a hose clamp open becomes a combination of art and torture. 

Almost done, I decided I should use the new drain hose supplied with the dishwasher since the old one could be 20 years old.  The old hose needed to be sawn off the connections.  The nipple to hook the drain hose on needed to be shortened for the new hose connector.  Then, the pipe below the kitchen sink broke (crumbled).  I AM NOT A PLUMBER!  My brother tried to convince me it would be easy to fix.  My brother says everything will be easy.  Fortunately in this case he was right (don’t tell him) but of course this required another trip to Home Depot.  I did use the plumbing work as an excuse to buy two lovely channel lock pliers.  I even managed to use both of them while re-assembling the drain on the kitchen sink and finishing the dishwasher drain. 

Water feed and drain in, machine leveled, fastened to the cabinets, I only needed to make the wiring connection.  I discovered that the part that holds the wire in the circuit box was missing.  I thought perhaps I could jerry rig something with electrical tape and a pipe clamp.  It did not turn out well so I took yet another trip to Home Depot for the correct part.  I finished the wiring connections, a simple thing except the position of my hands required me to crush my arms together in a way that left me almost completely manually incompetent while simultaneously sending shots of pain through my shoulders.  Finally done, a quick trip down the cellar to turn on breaker 3, confirm the water feed is fully on, then back up to try the new machine.

As advertised this dishwasher is very quiet.  It is also very pretty, with the controls on the top of the door so that once you close the door you have no clue what cycle it is on.  There is an eerie glowing blue bar of light on the door.  It provides no information that I can tell, but it looks cool.  Ooh, it turns red when the dry cycle starts!  You have to get right up to the dishwasher to hear that it is running, until it starts to drain.  You can hear it running the drain water through the drain in the kitchen sink, sounding like a dog or cat yorking up some inedible prize.  It will take me a while to not want to grab for the paper towel when I walk by.

I’m not sure I’m up for installing a dishwasher again, but it is done and now full of dog bowls, blue light glowing as it washes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment