Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Optimist


I went to the trails off Silver Lake in Hollis, NH this morning.  I decided to hitch the dogs in the parking lot and drive them through the narrow opening and take the left around the tree with the orange sign onto the trail.  The alternative was to take the sled up through and tie it off pointing down the trail, then bring the dogs up to the sled, a nuisance to manage getting the dogs hitched.   I always try to make my opening stretch as straight and simple as possible since the dogs are insane when they are first hitched.  I lined the team out directly towards the first narrow opening.  By this point I’d gained a small audience of walkers wanting to see the sled team start.    I pulled the release, stood on the brake, and immediately sailed towards the opening way too fast.  Bellowing “LIE DOWN”s shamelessly I held on and made the first opening, just clipping the left post.  The dogs then took a fast, tight left turn around the tree and up the trail.  This is where optimism and reality went their separate ways.    I chose a voluntary dismount, pulling the sled sideways so it hit the tree with the bottom of the runner and spun around it.  The closest I’ve come to pole dancing.  The sled continued down the trail, on its side behind my euphoric team, while I continued to bellow “LIE DOWN”s shamelessly as I got myself to my feet.  Perhaps the dogs noticed my voice getting further away.  They stopped.  With a non-stop stream of threats I was able to keep them still long enough to right my chariot and get back on the runners.  Fortunately the trail went a fair ways with only mild curves before I needed some control from my dogs again.

 


It is a lovely trail.  I did lose the services of my bar brake, but only a nut fell off so an easy repair.  Perhaps carrying some basic tools and parts would be prudent.  It was bitter cold so I was not about to take out the phone and remove my gloves while we were moving for pictures.  I did stop and get one picture.  The run was just over three miles.  No one was there at the parking lot to see me redeem myself, arriving back fully under control and trotting the team to the van.

No comments:

Post a Comment