Monday, December 14, 2009

Baby it's cold outside!

Actually it was a balmy 40+ degrees, which made me think I could get the pups out on the deck. Mind you after shoveling the snow on the deck there was an inch of ice. Well, most of them are going to live in the northeast so they may as well get used to it. They only lasted for a short time on the ice, then retreated into the calf hutch full of straw. I put one of the calf hutches up on the deck this fall knowing I'd have a winter litter. Second time out I'd managed to get the ice up, but the deck was still cold and very wet. Again after quickly eating their food they went for the calf hutch. I got the heat lamp up in the hutch so they can all curl up together under the lamp to stay warm. Each time out was about 30 minutes, 10 minutes on the deck and 20 minutes snuggled up in the hutch, plenty for the little guys.

One of the girls is going to Florida. After today I'm guessing they'll be fighting over that position. A boy is going to NJ, hardly the sunshine state, but a lot better than here. One boy and one girl pup are going to VT and another two pups are headed to Canada.

One great thing about the deck (other than them relieving themselves outside) is that it is close to the road. I live on Route 113 and it is a busy road. The deck has lots of road noise so the pups grow up oblivious to traffic sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment