Saturday, February 8, 2014

Lost


Tried a new trail today. The start was a problem as parking was across the road with enough traffic that I could not just drive them across. Meant a fair bit of scolding which I hate to do. 



Then I got lost. The good part is this meant the dogs pulled me along a curvy trail up a big hill. I jogged along for a bit but could not keep up so parked my feet back on the runners and let them pull my lazy butt up. I let them loose to run around a bit at the top while I took pictures. Not a good idea. That gave them time to replenish the crazy juice so when I hitched them to go back down the steep and winding trail they were loaded for bear. I stood on the drag mat brake as hard as I could the whole way down. I should have used the bar brake, much stronger, but to use the bar brake I had to take my foot off the drag mat. The hill was steep, the dogs fast, and the curves were coming at me one after another. I was afraid of that un-braked moment I needed to switch to the better brake.  
 

Then I got lost again finding the way home, missed a turn. So we went back and forth a bit until some cross country skiers told me how to get back. We went over 6 miles. All this distance and work got them well settled so we actually had a good strip where we were trotting along with the team strung out nicely. And since they were all calm I was able to take a picture one of the times I was off the sled trying to figure out where to go next.

No comments:

Post a Comment