Saturday, February 22, 2014

Tough Going


Tough run with the sled this morning. We got another 4 inches of snow late Wednesday evening which was thick with a crust this morning. The surface underneath was soft and often gave way. According to the dogs it was hard pulling the sle
d. According to me it was hard steering the sled. We only went 3.3 miles and were all tired. The sled runners got stuck on tracks in the thick crusty snow. I'd finally get it turned off the side of the trail and then could not straighten it so we'd end up in the deep on the other side. Judging from my tracks, wandering from one side of the trail to the other, I was MUI - Mushing Under the Influence. I learned to hop off the runners to steer when we were going slow as it was easier to turn the sled with no weight.


It was good for us, learning to work through some tougher conditions. ("Good for who? We did all the work dragging your lazy butt through that rough surface and you drove the sled like a drunken sailor" say the dogs.) If I can go out tomorrow I'll go to a very straight trail that is likely to have been well packed by snowmobiles.


I took video today, not exciting as the going was tough.  Over 30 minutes for a short run. 


No comments:

Post a Comment